A Security Guard is a person who is paid to protect property, assets or people.
Duty norms of security guard
- Through Patrol
- By watching alarm systems or Video Cameras
What Skills Do You Need For Security?
Top 5 Skills of a Security Guard
- Decision Making
- Physical Strength
Roles of a Security Guard
Dr. David Gold (Principal Consultant; Gold – Knecht Associates) said that the roles of a security guard are:
P P E
P = Prevention
P = Protection
E = Evacuation
- Minimizing loss of company documents, inventory and office equipment.
- Creating administering programs to prevent crimes from occurring.
- Through fire drills, growing awareness among the workers and management.
- Clear knowledge about what is fire, how it occurs and how it spreads.
- Identifying hazardous materials and sources of ignition.
- Reporting dangerous situation to a competent person.
- Preventing security problems from developing in the first place.
- Observing the automatic fire alarm system.
- In case of emergency make the connection with fire service and civil defense.
- Giving report to the management regularly.
- Ensuring sprinkler system is unobstructed.
- Inspecting fire extinguisher and call point property.
- Making sure the Water Hydrant is visible.
- Means of egress should be unobstructed during fire drill and emergency situation.
- Performing a training program of occupational safety and health administration.
Alert: Point when the alarm is sounded.
Pre movement: Time the alarm is sounded until people start moving towards the emergency exit.
Travel time: Time people start moving until they reach the exit.
Flow time: Time it takes for people to move through the exit.
Checklist for the Security Guard
|Items||Description||OK||Urgent Action||Location/ Comments|
|1||Alarm boxes unobstructed|
|2||Emergency Telephone Function|
|3||Exits not locked|
|4||External assembly area’s not obstructed|
|5||Exits not locked|
|6||Emergency lighting in working order|
Name of Guard and Signature
|Time and Date||
- Correct a problem if you can and it’s safe to do so.
- If you find a problem you cannot fix it quickly and safely, immediately report it to someone who can.
- The follow-up to make sure the problem is fixed.
- Report all problems, even the ones you fixed to prevent reoccurrence.